Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Portentous Dream

So I've gotten my bank account set up, and my Social Insurance as well.  As far as I can tell, your SIN is a lot like your SSN in the states.  These activities involved a lot of walking.  Probably at least an hour of walking.  My poor, flabby body is not used to it.  Especially on top of a morning run, and a 20-30 minute commute to and from work!

My legs are paying for it today.  But I can rest assured in the knowledge that my heart and gamer physique will appreciate it in the long run.  I've been contemplating taking Kung Fu- there's a place nearby, but I don't know if it will remain nearby when we move to a permanent place.  Fortunately there seem to be a lot of such places around!  I've never taken a martial art, and I have no real interest in the more sports-like martial arts, but... Kung Fu could be a lot of fun!

Today was a rainy day- by North Carolina standards, uncommonly rainy.  It was rainy on the way into work, it poured in the morning, remained rainy all day, poured again in the afternoon, and was raining steadily on the walk home.

Last night I had an interesting and strange dream.  I was in a swamp, and myself and my friends were lined up in front of a man who was the devil.  Nearby there was a wooden house built on a mound of firm ground in the swamp.  The devil was giving wishes, and I was first in line!  I play games- I run tabletop adventures- I know how this works.  The devil would surely grant us our greatest wish, only later to turn it against us, or take it from us at the crucial moment.  As such, I declined to make a wish.

I was surprised to see my friends accept the devil's terms!  Shortly, they were all enjoying the devil's gifts, in that swamp.  I was mildly jealous.  I could think of a number of things to wish for.  But shortly enough my suspicions bore fruit.  The devil turned everyone's wishes against them.  My memory is fuzzy, but I think some of them were turned into horrible grub-like creatures.  Then, one last trick up his sleeve, the devil began pouring thick rivulets of acidic liquid, drain-o like, into the swamp.  I thought perhaps of asking to make a wish to return the situation to its previous state....

... but I knew in my heart that the devil would never allow it.

1 comment:

  1. Berate not thy "flabby body" and/or "gamer physique." A spiteful god might suddenly strike from you your fast metabolism and lean, wiry frame!

    ReplyDelete